Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Battery Backup Chargers


 
Have you ever been in a situation where your phone, tablet or other electronic device has run out of battery juice? Well it has happened to me plenty of times.

Sometimes you’re in luck if at home and can plug the device into a wall charger or even in the car with the dashboard-lighter charger. I have even brought a USB wall charger with me while waiting at the airport and tried to sit next to an AC plug. However, once you’re on the plane there are no chargers at your seat. Hopefully, your laptop, tablet or game device has a long charge still left.


Last month I took a boat trip from Ft. Myers, FL to Key West, FL. The round trip was about 3.5 hours long in the morning and almost 5 hours back at night. Although we had fun on the island the boat trip was very teadious. However, you could pass the time talking and seeing the sights or having a snack. But as I looked around a lot of passengers had their tablets out reading or playing a game. My iPod Touch soon ran out of juice but some passengers had a little “Thingy” on a wire hanging on their tablet. Curious, I asked and found out that it was a Battery Charger.  When I got home, I looked into getting my own “Thingy” and found a whole assortment of choices and a range of prices from reasonable to expensive.

I then saw a TV Ad showing a device where you placed your iPhone or iPod on a power mat and they charged up without any wire connection. It was called the Duracell Powermat and sold for about $97.00. That’s kind of steep for my taste. For info see the web link below …

Duracell Powermat CSA4B1 24-Hour Power System for iPhone 4/4s - Black

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082YVBO0?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

I then looked on Amazon.com and found several choices. The least expensive was the Stitchway Backup Battery Charger for iPhone and iPod Touch and it was only $ 5.13 including shipping. That’s more to my liking. For info see the web link below … 

Stitchway UltraPower 1900 mAh Backup Battery Charger for iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4G, iPod, and iPod touch - External, Portable, Rechargeable (Black) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035R2QS4/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Although I was sceptical about the cheap price, I bought the Stitchway Backup Battery Charger and so far I am pleased with its capabilities. After charging up the Stitchway with a USB wall charger I plugged it into the bottom of my iPod Touch and had full power all day.

However, I was still looking for a backup charger for my other electronic devices.  I looked online at Walmart and found the Rayovac Power Pack PS60. It has a USB power chord with three adapters for Apple 30 Pin and a Mini and Micro USB.  The adapters plug into an iPhone, iPod Touch, Cell Phone, Digital Camera, Tablet or Lap Top and provide about 3 hours of extra power.  It cost about $ 17.97 and is available online or at the store.   For info see the web link below …

Rayovac Powerpack (iPhone, iPod Touch, Cell Phone, Digital Camera, Tablet, Lap Top)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-Platinum-Lithium-Ion-Power-Pack-Charger/17510694#Item+Description

Now I am all set with my Stitchway or Rayovac chargers, especially for those long trips. We have all become quite dependent on these beasty little electronic gadgets.  I wonder what Abe Lincoln would think today about the iPod, while he read his book by candle light.

Comments always welcome …..  markryan82@comcast.net

No comments: