Thursday, June 19, 2008

Anniversary Garden Room


One way to landscape a house lot is to arrange plantings in different areas to highlight a specific feature or purpose. Some landscapers call these garden areas “rooms” where you can sit and dream and watch the clouds roll by. The garden room can be under a shade tree or near a bird bath or special shrub or even a vegetable garden.

This being my 45th wedding anniversary, I wanted to set aside a special place to share with my wife on those long summer days in the shade. Previously I had built a garden trellis and planted rose bushes along the sides. After a few years of watering, fertilizing and tying the branches to the trellis, the roses look pretty good this year. Using this as a base, I drew a design with some plantings and sitting chairs to enhance the area.

I first cut out the lawn along the garden edge near the rose trellis into a semicircle. I think curved garden edges are more attractive then straight lines. You can follow the description below with photos found at the link …..
http://picasaweb.google.com/markryan312/AnnivGarden61908

I then selected some annuals and perennials and Adirondack chairs to place in the area for best effect. I arranged them along the left and right of the trellis archway facing out into the center of the yard. I found that plantings look best when placed in bunches rather than separating them into single plants.

In addition, perennials can be divided and transplanted when they start to over grow an area. One of the perennials that I have plenty of is called tick weed or “coreopsis” which grow in bunches and have small yellow flowers. When transplanting keep the plants in a bucket of water as you move them from one place to another.

Hope you like the garden room. Maybe it will give you an idea to construct your own so you can watch the clouds roll by. "Look, that cloud has the shape of a puppy dog”.

No comments: